Saturday, June 6, 2015

C4Ta#1

C4Ta#1, Post 1

Summary of Post made May 13, 2015: In Fisch's latest post in his blog, The Fischbowl, about the phrase, "In the real world...", he focuses on the idea that the phrase shouldn't be used anymore. He says students ARE already in the real world. Teachers most often use the phrase in a manipulative way, but they may not realize that it comes across this way. He mentions two ways that it is often used: When teachers say how good students have it because it's tougher in the "real world" and or to justify a practice. Fisch claims the phrase is a crutch because teachers don't know how to or don't want to answer a students question. He also wants to know if we are teaching different practices in school, than it is in the "real world", and why so? He lists several examples of what is true in the "real world", such as: We don't have to ask permission to use the restroom, we can eat and drink while we work, we are not dismissed by a bell to each hour long class, etc. Lastly, Fisch poses the question of, whose fault is it for not teaching students school is like the real world? 


Earth


C4Ta#1, comment 1

Comment: I commented: "I do not often use the phrase, "In the real world..." but I have heard it throughout most of my secondary education. I understand teachers are wanting to prepare their students for college, but like you said, we're in the real world already. It didn't occur to me how often the phrase is used, but it also didn't cross my mind how much students are not being prepared for the real world. Your examples show that. I will be sure to keep in mind, when I become an educator, to not use the phrase, "In the real world...". It really is a manipulative phrase and I agree with your argument that it shouldn't be used."

C4Ta#1, Post 2

Summary of Post made April 28, 2015: In The Fischbowl, there was no recent post after the first one I made. In Fisch's second most recent post, he tells of his daughters school schedule that week. Fisch totals the amount of hours his daughter spent on school and testing which includes: 

Passing Time: 17 minutes
Instructional Time: 910 minutes
Testing Time: 756 minutes

Fisch asks at the very end of his post, "I wonder if she could have done something better this week?" How crazy is that?

Test Taker


C4Ta#1, comment 2

Comment: I commented: "As a student, I don't remember taking as many tests as you listed above. I have also only heard of one test, the ACT, out of all three tests listed. I believe school systems are relying so much on standardized testing, that is all schools are preparing for now. This post brought me back to reality of how schools are working now."

2 comments:

  1. I always wondered why teachers used that phrase.I will try not to use that phrase at all because they are in the real world already. I think in school students shouldn't have to raise their hands for restroom especially in high school.When I first started college, some of my classmates raised their hands for the restroom.Great Post!

    ReplyDelete